"Facebook Advertising, how to do it?". That is the number 1 question I get from entrepreneurs when I talk with them about marketing. And if there is a question #1 there is always a question #2, right? Right: they always want to know how much Facebook Advertising will cost them. Why they ask me has 2 reasons:
- they want to get rid of their incredibly expensive digital marketing agency
- they hear stories that Facebook Advertising has become so expensive.
The latter is certainly true. However, it is still very lucrative to advertise on Facebook. Assume that for every $1 Advertising Budget you can reach about 100 people with a simple Ad consisting of text and an image. If only 3% of those people buy a $39 product from you, you will already achieve a turnover of 3*$39=$117. So the question "Is Facebook Advertising for Business still recommended?" I answer with a resounding "YES".
So let's dive in and deal with that one question, "Facebook Advertising, how to do it?"
Facebook is changing at lightning speed.
To say it straight away: "This blog will not do for the rest of your life when it comes to Facebook Advertising because Facebook is changing at lightning speed. Just think of the acquisitions that Facebook, - now Meta - has made in the past and still does regularly. Also think about all the changes that have been made to applications like WhatsApp, Instagram and Messenger. As you can imagine, with all these changes, advertising with impact remains a challenge for advertisers. A challenge where my Premium Master Class Facebook Advertising can be of great help. But more on that later.
Facebook Advertising: a Tool, not a Goal
Let me start by clearing up a widespread misconception; advertising on Facebook is supposed to be difficult. Believe me, that is absolutely not true. Anyone can do it, whether you have a PhD degree or own a garage business, none of that matters. If you can add one and one, you can advertise on Facebook. Even if you are a little older you can learn. You just need a roadmap so you don't overlook things. If you don't have that, then it becomes an expensive guessing game similar to delivering a letter by throwing it from an airplane and then hoping it falls into the right people's mailbox. If you want to do that and lose a lot of money I would say, "Go right ahead." However, I myself like a more structured approach.
Facebook Advertising the wrong Way is like throwing a letter out of an airplane.
And by a structured approach, I mean the following. Look, knowing how to advertise is important and so is what you need to do in preparation for that. But even more important is that you use the Campaigns as a kind of tool to achieve your goal that you have set. So your Campaigns should never be an end in themselves. I once asked a budding entrepreneur why he wasn't working. His answer was, "Well, I am waiting for the results of the Campaign I just started. Apparently he did not understand that his Campaigns had to support his marketing activities in order to ultimately achieve his goals.
Summarizing the above, you can say that successful marketing is not only achieved with Facebook but that Facebook Campaigns can help you make a good impact. But then of course you have to do it right and how do you do that?
Facebook Advertising, how to do it right?
Advertising in 3 Steps
- Determine your Objective
You start by focussing on 3 important question:
• What products/services will I focus on?
• How many sales are desired?
• Within what time frame should my targets be met?
- Determine your Audience
Who is you audience? In other words, how does you ideal customer looks like when it comes to things like age, gender, profession, residence, income, interests, click behavior, education etc. Try to put yourself completely in this person's shoes. If necessary, draw a picture of this person and give him or her a name.
- Create a Campaign
After you have the above things completely clear you can create your Facebook Campaign as a tool to achieve your Objectives with the right Audience.
Setting Up A Campaign
For Advertising on Facebook you have 2 options.
- Promoting your Posts
- Placing an Ad
1. Promoting your Post
This is the easiest way to reach people. You post a message on your Facebook Page and click "Promote Message". Super Easy, Super Fast but only ideal if you want to bring a message to the attention of your existing customers. It becomes different if you want to reach new customers because then this option is not suitable. After all, your message should be easy to share.
2. Place an Advertisement.
If you want to advertise on Faceook you will first have to create a Business Manager. That sounds complicated but with the step-by-step instructions in my Premium Master Class Facebook Advertising this is a piece of cake. Once you have done that you immediately have a so-called Advertising Account and you can set up a Campaign.
Before you must know that every Campoaign consists of 3 "Levels"
- Ad Set
To set up your Campaign, go through the following steps" starting on Campaign level:
Facebook Advertising how to
Step 1: Objective
First you need to know what the objective of your Campaign is. For example, there is a big difference between Reach, Brand Awareness and Conversion. Facebook distinguishes different objectives.
- Brand awareness: you want as many people as possible to see and remember your brand name.
- Reach: you want as many people as possible to see your ad.
- Traffic: you want to send as many people as possible to a destination on Facebook or beyond. Think of that as your own Website, your own App a WhatsApp or Messenger conversation.
- Engagement: You want to reach as many people as possible who often respond to ads/messages. Reactions are for example shares, likes, reactions on events.
- App Installs: You send as many people as possible to Apple's App Store or Google's Play Store to download your App.
- Video views: You want to reach as many people as possible who watch videos for a relatively long time. You can use promotional videos with behind the scenes footage or videos of product launches and or customer experiences cfor more brand awareness.
- Lead Generation: You want to gather information from people who are interested in your business.
- Messages: You want to reach as many people as possible who can use WhatsApp or Messenger to purchase products and/or ask questions to your support desk.
- Conversions: You want to reach people who will cause conversions. Conversions are valuable actions on your website, in your app or in Messenger. These can be page visits, sales, video views, or another action to help grow online business. Faceook has 2 powerful tools to track and measure conversions. The Facebook Pixel and the Conversion API. In my Premium Master Class Facebook Advertising, you'll learn step-by-atap how to install those on your on your website.
- Catalog Sales: You use this objective if you have a Facebook Shop. Your ad automatically displays items from your catalog based on your target audience.
- Store traffic: Use this objective if you have a brick and mortar store and want to promote it to people in your area.
Step 2: Set up your Ad Set
In the Ad Set, you determine:
1. the Audience,
2. your Budget,
3. the period in which your Campaign will run and (Schedule)
4. where within Facebook, Instagram, Messenger and WhatsApp your ad will be placed.(Placement)
Facebook Advertising how to do it
You choose your Audience based on "countless" characteristics. I will only mention a few here. Think of characteristics such as location, age, gender, education, work, household, hobbies, income, recently moved or newly married, etc.
But you can also target people who have visited your Faceook Page or people whose behavior resembles the people in your target groups. Facebook calls these Audiences "Lookalikes". If you want to track the people who have been on a certain web page you need to create and install the Faceook Pixel and Conversion API on your website. I mentioned earlier that my Premium Master Class Facebook Advertising describes step-by-step how to do this.
Choosing the right target group is extremely important. If your choice has not been right then Facebook will show your ad to the wrong people. Result: you won't sell anything.
Nobody can see into your wallet but you. Only you can decide how much money you are going to invest in your Campaign. You can choose a Daily Budget or a Lifetime Budget. In addition, you sometimes have the option of paying per click or per view, etc.
Facebook Advertising how to do it
Under Schedule, you can indicate the period your Ad should be displayed.
Facebook needs to know where people must see your Ads. You can completely leave this up to Facebook but you also set this up manually.
If you'd prefer to set up the placement yourself, you can decide yourself where your Ads must be displayed. This can be in the Newsfeed, of course, but also in the right-hand column, for example. However, you are not limited to Facebook here. You can also place your Ad on Instagram, Messenger and WhatsApp. What not many people know is that there are also options outside of Facebook for ad display. Just have a look at the image above and see what is possible here.
Finally, you can choose the event you want to optimize for in your Ad Set. Your selection affects who sees your Ads to get you the desired outcome. For example, if you choose to optimize for "Link Clicks", Facebook will show your Ad to the people most likely to click your link.
Facebook Advertising how to do it
Step 3: create your ad
Now it's time to create your ad. You let Faceook know which Facebook Page and Instagram account you are using for this.
You can also choose from various layouts:
- Carousel (Recommended image size: 1080 × 1080 pixels).
- Image (Recommended image size: 1,200 x 628 pixels, little text).
- Video (Recommended length: up to a maximum of 15 seconds).
- Slideshow (Maximum 15 seconds).
- Collection (Based on a template).
Facebook ad formats
Once you've chosen the layout, it's time to fill out the Ad. You do this by doing the following things:
1. You write your texts
2. You add visuals such as photos or videos
3. You write a headline
4. You write a description (optional)
5. You choose buttons with the text that best fits your ad, for example Sign Up, Learn More or Download.
Once you have done this and want to start your Campaign right away, the Campaign becomes a big gamble. You don't know in advance whether the Campaign is going to be a success or not. To avoid that you create different Ad Sets that are slightly different than the others. Don't make the differences too big. It is best to make one variation per ad set. Once the campaign is up and running, you can see which Advertisement Set is performing well and which is not. You can then, of course, switch off any poorly performing Advertisement Set.
For the next Campaign you will then know which Set you should or should not choose. You do the same with your Ads. You also disable those over time if you see that they are performing poorly.
Now it's time to publish the Campaign. Do not expect to become a millionaire within a short time because the first Campaigns are generally never a success. However, by studying the numbers carefully you will learn to get better and better. So look at the results of your Campaigns a few times a day. Keep an eye on your goals. Keep segmenting and seek and maintain contact with your customers. Also with those who have been on your website but have not yet converted. After all, they have shown interest in your product by visiting your website.
Facebook Advertising how to
You understand, of course, that this blog is just a little peek behind the scenes and does not make you an accomplished Facebook Advertiser. If you want to start advertising yourself and are looking for a method to learn it at your own pace and step by step, feel free to contact me or purchase my Premium Master Class Facebook Advertising right away. This Master Class is much more than a Facebook Advertising course. It is a complete Marketing Master Class consisting of over 60 lessons that you can take at your own pace at your leisure. As a bonus, every participant gets a complete ChatBot Training plus a whole year of support in a private Facebook Group.
If you have any question, do not hesitate to contact me.